Friday, September 07, 2007

Two Tonys

September 7, 2007
A promise is a promise. This is a short tale of two men that it’s been my privlidge to know. The first, a long time ago, in my 30s while working for Data General, was Tony Angeletti (Mary, I can’t remember the exact spelling). Eastern Air Lines was my account, my celeb d’fame, and the reason I missing out on Sun Microsystem’s going public. I was in my 30s, Tony was in his late 40s and we got along splendidly. Tony hated Eastern and yearned to be free, to move to Utah with his beautiful wife, Mary. I left DG and to my great regret, lost contact with Tony. To my great sadness, I later heard that Tony had passed on, losing his fight with cancer. What a loss the world suffered that day.

Forward a decade and then some and you would have found me at 3Com. At a party put on by a co-worker, I met a wonderful fellow named Tony Sconsa, with his girlfriend Mary. Guess who .. yup, the one and same Mary, who I hadn’t met before. I was reminicing about Tony #1 and Eastern, when Mary, with a tear in her eye, said that was her husband. Imagine my shock. It turned out that Tony and Mary and I became best of friends. Tony S was a wondeful of a man. Whenever we would meet, we’d hug and I’d admonish him not to grab my rear, to which he’d respond, if only just for a moment. We’d laugh, then talk about the stresses of the day. Tony was a collector of wines, having thousands of bottles, his delights, and he was exceptionally generous. One day, while in Texas on business, Tony collapsed and passed on. It’s good not to suffer, but again, the world was diminshed with Tony’s passing.

I promised Mary I’d visit Tony at his resting place in Manchester, New Hampshire. I fulfilled that promise today. Tony and I had a long chat and I, with great sadness upon my heart, extolled him for leaving us so soon. Here’s a picture or two for you to wish Tony well.
Mary, you are a lucky woman to have Two Tony’s in your life. Thank you for sharing with me too.

No comments: